Do it Yourself > Optimization
- The content on your website is vital. Make sure you have well-written and informative information on your site. Also, make sure you focus on your main keywords and keyword phrases.
- Get the right type of inbound links, the right way. Say you are in the water restoration industry: You wouldn't want an online book store to link to you. You would want other sites that has to do with water restoration, such as plumbers, home improvement sites, etc. Also, look at the way your website is linked. You want to use your keyword phrases as the link.
- Within your title tags make sure you put your primary keyword or keyword phrase first. If you want to put your company name in the title, put it at the end. Always begin your titles with keywords!
- Update your website frequently. Visitors and search engines love to see new content added to your site on a regular basis. Now, if you have a blog be sure to update it frequently or this could actually hurt your websites ranking.
- Take into consideration SEO before you design your site. A Flash-based site my look nice, but spiders can not see any of the content.
- Use keywords in everything: text links, image ALT tags and in your domain name.
- Implement a 301 redirect
- Don't use frames!
- Don't go overboard on your keywords. If you spam your site with keywords and not natural language, search engines may actually blacklist you.
- Make your site easy to navigate through. Ever visit a site and can't figure out how to find the page your looking for? It's aweful and drives away traffic.
- Don't waste your time with paid links, PPC (pay per click) or sponsored ads. They don't work, trust me I learned the hard way!
- For each page focus on one keyword / keyword phrase. So, I'm going to say we're still in the water restoration cleaning. On one page focus on repeating 'water damage' and 'water damage restoration'. Now, if you have a page about mold, focus on repeating 'mold removal'.
- Setup an RSS feed and use descriptive keyword terms and keyword phrases.
- Use social marketing. Digg.com, Reddit.com, Yelp, del.icio.us, Facebook, and so on.
- Make videos and upload them to popular sites like Google, Facebook and Youtube.